Self Portrait

Self Portrait

Friday, January 29, 2016

PHOTOGRAPHY CHALLENGE 27: CURVED

CaptureYour365 
Week 4: Composition Week
Day 27: 'Curved'


As I did with the prompt 'Black and White', I decided to go literal with this assignment. 

This is where I started...'curvy' eggs in a 'curvy' bowl.

'Eggs in a Bowl'



Curves are calming. The photograph above has a calm feel. 

The color white, however, can be stark. I learned this lesson years ago when shopping for my wedding dress. After helping me into a white wedding gown, the woman assisting me stepped back, paused for a moment, a forefinger tapping thoughtfully on her lips, and then said in a lovely English accent something along the lines of, "Darling, white is not your color." I am blonde, blue-eyed and have a very fair complexion. Pasty, actually, with hints of blue. A professor in college would ask me routinely if I was sick. NO! 

But I digress... The Englishwoman (I really should know her name. Seems rather tacky not to remember the name of the woman who sold me the dress I was married in...) trotted me back out the racks where I was instructed to limit my choices to ivory. 

The 'take-home' message: white can be harsh.  

Wanting to enhance the sense of calm, I added an antique filter to the photograph. 

'Eggs in a Bowl 2.0'  



Definitely a softer image.

I then started thinking about what I could do so the objects in the photograph (eggs and bowl) would become secondary to their curved lines. Does that make sense? 

A 'faded paper' filter resulted in the photograph being less about the eggs and the bowl and more about their curves. I also like the ethereal, dreamy quality the photograph now has.

I give you 'Curved'



No comments:

Post a Comment