Self Portrait

Self Portrait

Monday, January 18, 2016

PHOTOGRAPHY CHALLENGE 17: 'LIGHT'

CaptureYour365 
Prompt 17: 'Light'


Week 3 of the CaptureYour365 challenge: Technical Week
Day 17: Light


Hmm...how to approach this challenge... 

My cat Nick obliging decided to take a snooze in a pool of sunlight. Let there be light! 

Since Nick is the worst model ever, I knew I had to act quickly. That meant I didn't have the luxury of using my 'big' camera. What camera is ALWAYS nearby?! I grabbed my iPhone and snapped the following. 



As you can see, Nick is fairly annoyed at being disturbed from his nap. Sorry, Nick, but art waits for neither man nor beast.

At this point, I must thank a photography instructor, David Perry, for for a tip I have used time and again when shooting with my iPhone. "Go with underexposure..." Underexposing reduces blowout in the highlights and allows for the retrieval of detail in the shadows. 

The photograph above posed a few problems for a novice photographer like me. I liked the contrast between Nick and the patch of sun. Lots of detail, however, was lost in the black of his fur.

I imported Nick into Lightroom and began to play. I think I was fairly successful in my efforts. 



OK, assignment fulfilled. A good photograph, if unremarkable...except for Nick's perturbed look.

I began to wonder if I could make the ordinary more extraordinary.

First attempt at extraordinary: 'Nick in Black and White'



Not bad, if I was going old timey. 

The look on Nick's face kept nagging at me. I wanted to use it. I know the look is one of annoyance. Someone else, however, might see fear. Something about Nick's look got me thinking about posters for low budget horror movies from the 1960s. I started adding filters. 

From Scaredy Cat Productions: 'WHAT THE CAT SAW'



Don't see it alone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment