Self Portrait

Self Portrait

Friday, January 22, 2016

FRIDAY FOTOGRAPHY FUN

About a year ago, I took a photography class entitled 'Telling Better Stories'. 

Most of us arrived the first day of class packing powerful, feature-laden DSLRs. One woman had a point-and-shoot; another intended to only use her iPhone camera. 

There was a definite sense of superiority (mixed with astonishment) on the part of those of us with DSLRs at our classmates with their smaller, simpler cameras. Our instructor quickly put us in our place. He reminded us that it is not the camera that makes a truly remarkable photograph, it is the person using the camera.

To make a long story short...as the class progressed, the woman with the point-and-shoot and the woman with the iPhone again and again presented breathtakingly beautiful and original photography.

This past November, motivated by what I had seen in the 'Telling Better Stories' class, I took an iPhone photography class. It was taught by the same instructor, David Perry, who taught the 'Telling Better Stories' class. All I can say is the class was absolutely inspiring.

Which brings me to FRIDAY FOTOGRAPHY FUN...

Some of you reading this post know I use this blog to chronicle my journey towards one day, hopefully, becoming a technically proficient photographer. 

I have decided to take a break, on Fridays, from the CaptureYour365 challenge. On Friday, I want to do something different. I want to show photographs that come from the techniques and applications I learned in the iPhone photography class. 

David Perry, the instructor, is a professional photographer with decades of experience photographing, among other things, what he described as "guys in ties on business highs". He is very much a poet, both in his photography and in his writing. The first assignment, therefore, was to photograph a haiku. In other words, as I understood the instructions, simplicity.

As always...All Rights Reserved

Original Photograph: Hibiscus Flower 


Final Photograph: Haiku


If you would like to take a look at David Perry's work, here is the link to his website
http://www.davidperryphoto.com/site/DPerryPhoto.html

No comments:

Post a Comment