Self Portrait

Self Portrait

Thursday, January 14, 2016

PHOTOGRAPHY CHALLENGE 11

CaptureYour365 
Prompt 11: 'Complimentary'


When I saw the prompt 'Complimentary', I immediately though of two ways I could approach the assignment.

1. Complimentary colors
2. Complimentary objects

No doubt, there are many other 'complimentary' scenarios out there. 

I decided on complimentary colors, wanting to save the idea of complimentary objects for a later assignment.

A bit of color theory... Complimentary colors are opposite each other on the color wheel. Blue and orange are complimentary colors, as are violet and yellow. I chose to work with red and green. 

I thought this was going to be a quick assignment to execute. I decided to photograph red flowers against a green background. I seem to remember hearing somewhere that the red-green combination is one of the most pleasing to the eye. 

'Finding the shot', however, took forever.

I started with three flowers in separated vases arranged in a variety of ways. Then I moved to three flowers in a single vase. Finally, I tried a single flower in a single vase.

Here is the shot I decided to use. It is unedited

  
An OK, if unremarkable, shot. While the photograph fulfills the requirement of the assignment, it seems to me to be crying out for something more. Like a plain dress in need of some accessories.

I first added a cross process filter, then two texture filters to produce the final result. I think my plain Jane is now a psychedelic flower child! As always, All Rights Reserved. 







No comments:

Post a Comment