Self Portrait

Self Portrait

Thursday, February 4, 2016

PHOTOGRAPHY CHALLENGE 33 & 34: 'FOLDED' & 'COARSE'

CaptureYour365 
Week 5: Inspiration Week
Day 33 & 34: 'Folded' & 'Coarse'


It took me a couple of days to figure out how to approach this assignment.  In the end, I decided to combine two prompts into one photograph.

I used my Nikon Coolpix point-and-shoot camera to photograph an anthurium flower in natural light. Keep in mind the prompts 'folded' and 'coarse'. 

Anthurium flower unedited




Personally, I found photographing an anthurium flower a bit difficult. Everything about this plant is BOLD: its foliage, its flowers, the color of the flower.

So, I decided not to fight the anthurium's boldness. 

I cropped the photograph into a square and added a filter to intensify the color of the entire flower to a screaming tropical orange. I like how the color and the flower's shape now give a borderline abstract quality of the photograph. 


Then, I decided to go the other direction.

I did a little different crop and added a filter that removed the color. No color allows the 'folded' and 'coarse' qualities of the flower to pop. Now, the photograph reminds me of an old botany print.



No comments:

Post a Comment