Self Portrait

Self Portrait

Monday, February 1, 2016

PHOTOGRAPHY CHALLENGE 32: 'FROSTY'

CaptureYour365 
Week 5: Inspiration Week
Day 32: 'Frosty'


Seattle really isn't known for it's frosty winters. Rain, yes; 'freeze-dried rain', not so much. If you feel the urge to make a snow angel, you'll need to head for the mountains.

Right now it's 43° outside. Wasn't even cold enough last night for frost. Brisk, yes, but definitely not frosty. It's off to the archives I go...

I took the photograph below last July in Norway, high up in the mountains of the Jotunheimen. This is, according to Norwegian folklore, the home of the giants. I didn't see any giants, but I did see members of the Norwegian Olympic cross-country ski team. 

Of course, one could argue, when it comes to cross-country skiing, Norwegians are giants.

This was an excellent photograph to work on my white balance skills in editing. The original photograph has a distinct blue cast. It feels cold, lonely, isolated. If that was effect I was going for, I would be happy.


  
But, what if I didn't want such a strong blue cast? What if I wanted the snow to be whiter? I have to adjust the white balance. Bring more yellow into to offset the blue.



After adjusting the white balance, the snow in the photograph above is much whiter. 

I thought it still a bit too much on the blue-gray side. I up the whites for the final photograph below. It looks like a black and white photograph except for the exposed ground in the middle of the frame showing a hint of color.

'Somewhere in Jotunheimen'





No comments:

Post a Comment