Self Portrait

Self Portrait

Saturday, April 11, 2015

WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF THIS BLOG?

I love to shoot photographs. I also love to write. What better way to combine those two loves than in a blog. Remember the Reese's Peanut Butter Cup commercials from way back when...You got chocolate in my peanut butter! You got peanut butter on my chocolate! Two great tastes that taste great together! Photography and writing: two great things that go great together!

The last year has been a journey for me in more ways than one. One of those journeys has been of discovery, or should I say, of REdiscovery. I have been rediscovering myself. Photography and writing are the vehicles I have been riding on that winding, sometimes very indistinct, road to rediscovery. As I type these words, the vision of an old, drab green Land Rover bouncing across a dusty African landscapes fills my mind. On board are individuals on safari. I can imagine they are wildly excited and more than a little scared. They're on their way to see lions and zebras and elephants and who knows what else! But, what if the vehicle breaks down? They are out in the middle of nowhere. Is there cell phone service? Is that a vulture circling overhead...?

My journey of rediscovery is also one of redefinition, of reclamation. I have been handed the amazing opportunity to become someone new. Like the adventurers on the Land Rover, I am traveling through unfamiliar country. Or maybe, it is a land I once knew when I was much younger. I left it to visit other places. Unfortunately, over time, it faded from memory. 

I know I am heading toward experiences that will change me forever. I am wildly excited, and more than a little afraid... Is that a vulture circling overhead?

I hope you will join me on this journey.



 BTW: The photograph above isn't mine. I wish!

No comments:

Post a Comment