Self Portrait

Self Portrait

Friday, April 10, 2015

WELCOME TO MY BLOG

About this time a year ago, a dear friend (Hi, Sheri!) and I took a class at Bellevue College to learn how to use our expensive, feature-loaded DSLR cameras.  

The instructor was a very patient professional photographer named Tom Heffernan, He painstakingly walked us through the workings of our cameras from A to Z. While I found the technical stuff like f-stops, white balance, focal lengths, etc. squiggle-eye inducing (numbers are not my bag, man), Sheri sucked it up like a sponge. Composing the photograph was much more to my liking. 

There were, of course, assignments to complete. Sheri and I went out on a couple of photographic safaris. We made an awesome team. I spotted the shot; Sheri, so quick to figure out aperture and shutter speed, handled the technical aspect. We would have made a great sniper team.

When I look at my early photographic attempts (those taken without Sheri in tow), I see mostly cringe-worthy efforts. Here and there, however, is a shot that hints at what the future might bring...with lots and lots and lots of practice. (Below is an early effort.) 



BTW: after a year, I think I finally understand aperture. Shutter speed is still a work in progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment