Self Portrait

Self Portrait

Monday, January 2, 2017

NEW YEAR'S EVE 2013/NEW YEAR'S DAY 2017

Was a bit under the weather on yesterday. Definitely not how I planned to welcome the New Year. Housebound, I spent the day in my photography playground. 

In 2013, my son John and I traveled to NYC. We were there for the week between Christmas Day and New Year's Day. We had a wonderful time. Ate way too much New York style pizza. 

New Year's Eve found us wandering around Central Park where I took the photograph below, using my little Nikon point-and-shoot camera. 


Hardly a pretty picture. However, when I examined the photograph more closely, I realized I had caught two people standing close together on the bridge, looking at the pond. There was my story. 

Dorothy Parker's quote "Creativity is a wild mind and a disciplined eye" is my new motto. From that quote sprang Winter Wonderland. 

Wish I could say I had a plan in mind when I started, but I didn't. The final photograph came about after a lot of trial and error.

The original photograph has two weaknesses, in my opinion. One is the very dull, but very winter color scheme. No crystal blue sky or sparkling snow to make the photograph pop. The other is the tangle of bare bushes in the foreground.

I opted to play off the winter color scheme rather than fight it. The lack of color reminded me of old, faded photographs. I cropped the photograph and added a fog filter to give a hazy, dreamlike quality. I removed a number of twigs and branches in the foreground. Eliminating those distractions opened up the area around the bridge a bit and brought more focus to the couple on the bridge. The underbrush in the foreground served very nicely as a background for the Winter Wonderland caption. Lastly, an aged border for that final old time photograph touch.


A gentle reminder: All Rights Reserved

1 comment: