Self Portrait

Self Portrait

Thursday, June 2, 2016

PHOTOGRAPHING A PHLOMIS

I gave myself the following challenge:

  1. Photograph the phlomis blooming in my garden
  2. Take the photograph in situ
  3. Use my Nikon Coolpix point-and-shoot camera, without a tripod
  4. Take the photograph in the bright light of midday

Behold the phlomis...



I am a big fan of this plant. I love its unusual form, boldness, quilted leaves and whorls of fuzzy flowers. It's like a cheerful yellow exclamation point in my garden. That said, I found it a difficult subject to photograph. Should I try to capture its statuesque beauty? Or should I zero in on the flowers?

I decided to go close up, taking the photograph at a bit of an angle. I converted the photograph to black and white so the wonderful form and texture of the flower took centerstage.





1 comment:

  1. Very interesting flower. I don't think I've ever seen one. Reminds me of a fountain.

    ReplyDelete