Self Portrait

Self Portrait

Friday, May 15, 2015

DO WHAT YOU LOVE


As an aspiring photographer, and dare I say it, an aspiring artist, I have been searching for 'my style'. 

To me, that means the following... 


  • THE PHOTOGRAPHY STYLE OR METHOD FITS ME.

Take shopping for clothing. You try things on until you find what suits you. Same with photography. 


I have accepted that I will probably never be a nature photographer. Hiking three hours up steep mountain trails to photograph a pristine alpine lake...sorry, not going to happen. Waiting patiently in a cold wet forest for a bald eagle or a stag or a bobcat or something to maybe make an appearance...nope. I deeply admire photographers who do that kind of work, their patience and grit. The accolades they receive are hard earned and richly deserved. 



  • MY PHOTOGRAPHY MUST BE A REFECTION OF WHO I AM.

I think I'm a bit of a contradiction. At heart, I am a minimalist, but I like drama. Translation: I like simple things that make a statement. Years ago I owned a deep red sofa. Enough said.


Something isn't dramatic, in my opinion, because it screams at you. There is great drama to be found in the quiet, the still. Consider a drop of water suspended from a leaf over the glassy surface of a still pond. 



Today's offering... 'Steps to Somewhere'





All Rights Reserved

Taken with my iPhone. Edited 






No comments:

Post a Comment